The Cathedral of St. Philip Choir and Schola recorded this disc for Gothic Records in February 2014. The title of the disc is taken from a prayer by John Donne which is included in one of the glorious anthem settings on the CD: Bring us, O Lord God, at our last awakening into the house and gate of heaven, to enter into that gate and dwell in that house, where there shall be no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light; no noise nor silence, but one equal music; no fears nor hopes, but one equal possession; no ends nor beginnings, but one equal eternity; in the habitations of Thy glory and dominion, world without end.
The entire disc consists of anthems which dwell on the joy and peace that is promised to God’s children for all of eternity, providing rich musical interpretations of biblical and poetic texts that contemplate the hope and promise of heaven. All of the music on the disc is appropriate to the feast of All Saints’.
We are delighted to offer this beautiful music to the world at this time of year, but we hope that, whenever you listen to this disc, you will experience a little foretaste of heaven. Whether you simply love glorious choral music, or you take comfort in contemplating an eternity of perfect peace and indescribable joy, or you are mourning the loss of a loved one, this disc will speak deeply to you.
It is filled with hopeful, encouraging, peace-filled texts and music.
- Into the House and Gate of Heaven: Holy is the true light – William Harris (1:56)
- Bring us, O Lord God – Paul Halley (5:46)
- And I saw a new heaven – Edgar Bainton (5:16)
- For the Feast of All Saints* – Gerald Near (4:27)
- The Beatitudes – Craig Phillips (4:15)
- "In Heaven soaring up" from Three Mystical Hymns – David Conte (3:16)
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot* – Spiritual, arr. Dale Adelmann (4:15)
- We shall walk through the valley in peace* – Spiritual, arr. Moses Hogan (4:07)
- Beati quorum via* – Charles Villiers Stanford (3:33)
- There is a land of pure delight* – Grayston Ives (3:46)
- Faire is the heaven – William Harris (4:58)
- Jesus Christ the apple tree* – Colin Mawby (5:00)
- Holy is the True Light* – Gerald Near (3:32)
- Deep River – Spiritual, arr. Gerre Hancock (3:22)
- Remembrance* – Dan Locklair // Michael Myers,trumpet(6:15)
- The Beatitudes* – Arvo Pärt // Kenneth Miller,organ(7:08)
- "In Paradisum" from Requiem (Opus 9) – Maurice Duruflé (2:48)
*Sung by the Cathedral Schola