A comprehensive and beautifully illustrated guide to Russian icons — the "beating heart of the Christian East"
A docent at the Museum of Russian Icons in Clinton, Massachusetts, for many years, Dennis J. Sardella now offers an inviting guide to the most famous icons in the collection. This vibrantly illustrated book will:
• Introduce you to icons and instill a desire for a deeper appreciation of them
• Teach you about their origin, their historical evolution, their complex symbolic language, and their role in the spiritual and liturgical life of the Eastern Churches, both Orthodox and Catholic
• Answer your questions about when and where the first icons were created
• Show the physical and spiritual steps in their creation
• Explain the different types of icons, the symbolism that is key to deciphering them, as well as their role in Eastern Christian spirituality and liturgy.
165 Pages Paperback